Sunday, April 1, 2012

Good Grief

Believe it or not I've been having my share of trials and tribs. over here. My mom is dying and as hard as that has been to deal with it is even harder to have family conflict in the process. Thank heaven for the spiritual feast that is General Conference. I felt like all the talks were given directly to me and written for me at this time in my life.
  • Life was never meant to be easy or fair
  • We learn from our children more than we ever did from our parents
  • There is seemingly no end to our capacity to love
  • ...if the billowing surge conspire against thee...and above all if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou...that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. (Doctrine and Covenants 121;7)
  • Personal Integrity with each decision is what gets us through the storms of life
  • Forgive
  • It is the hardships of life that bring us to God
  • Ask
  • Richard G. Scott's in it's entirety
  • Also Dieter F. Uchtdorf's
  • Anger, hurt, defensiveness drive away the Spirit.
  • The merciful will obtain mercy
  • Come unto Jesus, ye heavy laden
  • In reference to the Big Bang Theory: Could an explosion in a printing shop produce a dictionary?
  • Wise parents teach their children to be able to live without them.
  • Never delay a prompting
  • Daily record our spiritual promptings (ideas, inspiration, etc.) Shows commitment and gratitude
Sweet is the peace the gospel brings.
General conference addresses can be found in their entirety on www.LDS.org

Kate did her part to lighten things up around here with some April Fool's pranks. She unhooked the pipe in the toilet that sprays you when you flush, she put mayo in the lotion bottle, and who knows what else we'll discover before the day is over:)

6 comments:

stephanie said...

I have to say it was one of my favorite conferences. Maybe because I also felt they were directed to me.

Sorry about your hard times.

Megz said...

Troubles are no good. But I'm glad you had conference to be your Balm in Gilead.
We enjoyed it too and it was fun to hear the kids do their mandatory recaps at dinner tonight.
I also loved the Big Bang theory.
And Uchtdorf's simple 'stop it' on our negatives.

Michelle said...

I can't imagine something harder than to have to slowly say goodbye to my mother. Thank you for putting my trials and tribs into perspective.

Sherie Christensen said...

I always love your general conference recaps. Thanks. I am sorry for the hard things.

Somehow I always forget that Kate loves practical jokes. She can put on such an innocent face!

cold cocoa said...

I wish I would have done more April Fool's jokes. The main one around here was finding spiders on everyone. Over. And over. Again. Clean though!

Sorry about your hard times. Family conflict is no good.

Megan Goates said...

You're in my thoughts often, Laura. What a difficult and bittersweet time this must be for you with your mom. I'll be praying for you both.