Sunday, February 28, 2010

B-Day Drama

There's been a lot of celebrating going on over here. Three birthdays down with one more to go in March (Cannon's). I really wanted to take a break from parties this year but after months of intense begging, pleading, tears, and such they wore me down. I gave them 10 bucks and 2 choices: Keep it all for yourself. Or have a party and spend it on your guests. What did they choose? The latter-- way too quickly. Obviously the stakes weren't high enough.

Here's a synopsis of all the events:
Brynn's birthday #7: She invited a few friends over for an American Girl doll party. Everyone brought a favorite doll. They rotated around to different doll stations: hair salon, Dr. office, etc. Brynn spent her $10 on cupcake holders for her guests to take home. The girls ate and decorated cupcakes with gobs of frosting, sprinkles and candy. Brynn and her friends were easy to please and they had a good time.


Adrie's birthday #5:
Breakfast in bed (Trix.)
She had 4 friends over for a candy game. She spent her $10 on beaded bracelet kits. They proved a bit frustrating for some little hands but in the end they had some nice sparkly bling to wear home. They spent the rest of the time happily playing with all of Adrie's new presents. I love this age.

Kate's birthday #9: This is the age where Mom's great party planning ideas come to heads with Kate's great party planning ideas. It came to blows. Kate spent her $10 on storebought invitations and wooden block photo holders that the girls could paint. She also paid for the donuts. That we all agreed on--it was what else to do with 1o 8-9 year olds that we didn't agree on. I found an idea online that I thought was great: send them out of the house on a scavenger hunt around the neighborhood. Only instead of collecting useless things like paper clips they could support our ward humanitarian project and collect a few supplies for the orphans in Haiti e.g. a bar of soap, shampoo, TP, etc. First team back to home base wins--and so do the orphans right? Wrong. Kate thought this idea was HORRID. Maybe you do too... Anyway, at the suggestion of one of her friends they ended up playing a dance freeze tag kind of game. It was a hard crowd. I think they could have benefited from doing a little service but what do I know I'm just a nerdy mom. Sheesh. I know this is just the start of things to come--wait until we have to plan her wedding!@#!*
For her birthday she got a desk for her future room in the basement(pictured above because it hasn't arrived in the mail yet) and my old camera. I upgraded to a Canon powershot 12.1 mpx that was a bargain on amazon for $129.
Seriously next year I'm stickin to my guns. Enough already. No parties. We'll have some happy family times and spend the money on the orphans in Haiti.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL MY GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do your kids get birthday parties every year or do you pay your kids off and if so how much--ha ha?



6 comments:

TisforTonya said...

it's starting to sound good to pay them off... the party plans thus far are WAY over the $10 mark if they get their way...

Michelle said...

My kids get birthday parties at 8 and 12, that's it. We have family cake and ice cream all the other years. Too expensive any other way.

cold cocoa said...

I think you can keep cost down pretty easy, and as long as it's fun for the parents/kids, then why not have a birthday party?
I like your blog background, by the way. Sounds like maybe you should do the Haiti thing for FHE tonight.
Happy Birthday gals!

Megz said...

Maybe in a few years you can just consolidate and have one huge girl party at the beauty college.
Fortunately, my older two are over B-day parties and just want to do a special activity w/ one friend. Ethan still wants 'em but he's easy to please so I don't mind.

I love the cupcake holder idea.

Good try on pushing the service. Maybe you can do that for your Birthday!

LC said...

Megz, that's exactly what Kate said , or yelled, rather.
"You can do that on YOUR birthday with YOUR friends.!" ay ay ay.

Laura said...

Last year, I took Raina and her crowd to the Old Folks home to sing and bring them cheer. I thought it was very sweet and thoughtful.....unfortunately I haven't heard the last of it from my 11 year old prima donna...geesh