Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

A special delivery arrived yesterday. No way has anyone ever been more excited for grass than me! The kids? Maybe. At least they showed it more with their tumbling and skipping. I am dreaming of all the benefits that come with bedding down the dirt: picnics! clean floors! volleyball! slip-n-slides! races! no back-breaking weeding! What it boils down to is LESS WORK and MORE FUN! Mowing it even counts as fun, if you add a pina colada. Lucky for us this kind of grass is a special slow-growing, lower maintenance variety.

It required some heavy labor putting it in but our kind neighbors helped-- a few sweaty, dirty hours later and Presto! Instant yard just in time for my birthday. (amazing how 4 years can count as instant.)
I thought that staring out the window and soaking in the green sight would be a perfectly lovely way to spend the day. Maybe I'd bring a book out so I could glance up and into the green after every few pages and enjoy the surprise again and again.

It's been a good day of well-wishes and birthday messages, and if that AND green wasn't enough I also got presents! Brandon gave me a GPS sports watch that tracks mileage, pace, and heart rate for walking/running/biking. What a great gift! I'll be able to run longer and faster than ever with my new awesome gadget! Brynn is going to mop the floor for me today. Cannon gave me a birthday hug. Adrie agreed to go to school willingly and un-whiningly (which she did!) and Kate gave me a coupon for a 30-minute foot massage! Perfect pampering after that brute labor yesterday.
My cup runneth o'er. I came across this scripture the other day which seemed to sum it all up.

...and so many the blessings which were poured out upon the people, that even the high priests and the teachers were themselves astonished beyond measure.
(Helaman 3;25)

The local radio station called to tell me I won a birthday cake! Astonished beyond measure.

Life is good. Brandon and I are going to Boston in a month which I am SUPER duper excited about. Travel IS my drug of choice. So just when I thought life couldn't get any better my sister called--
"I've got 3 days off and a buddy pass for you. Where do you want to go?"
FOR REALS?!!!!!!! Add beach to the travel and I'm on a serious high!
Our plan is to fly to San Francisco then drive down the coast, stopping at all the best beaches along the way then fly home out of L.A. or San Diego, wherever we end up. PCH 1 here we come!




5 comments:

Megz said...

Will you please tell your sister when my Birthday is? Thanks.
So happy for you and your grass. Mowing the lawn is a great workout and a good way to stay tan. And it makes your husband look bad when the neighbors see you doing it.
Sounds like you had a great day--Happy Birthday!!!!

stephanie said...

I love love love the look of fresh grass. That is a great birthday present... I go out to look at my lawn several times a day after it is freshly mowed. Enjoy it!

cold cocoa said...

Your lawn looks beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person.

How fun is a trip to San Fran and the coast? You are so lucky. Have a good time!

Sherie Christensen said...

I'm so glad you had a happy birthday. It sounds like you got some great surprises / gifts. I hope you really enjoy the beach! I love Adrie's gift. Today was a whiney school morning here, but all is well, they all got there. Happy birthday (a bit late).

Diana said...

Happy belated birthday! It sounds like you'll be celebrating for awhile with all that joy around your house and trips to take...so funny story---the other day I heard Claire talking to her babies (formerly named Ally & Rooster) and calling them Kate & Adrie! If only she had one more then there could be a Brynn too. :)