Marrying Brandon was one of the easiest decisions I've ever made. Actually, it wasn't really a decision, it was more like a natural step, the next thing to do. We met in an LDS "singles ward" at BYU. I thought it was pretty fun that he rode his bike to church. One time he stopped and asked if I wanted a ride..ha ha. I was a freshman, he was already graduated.
Our first date was great. We went to Arby's and then to a BYU BBall game but we didn't really watch it--we talked. I could tell this guy was a seasoned dater--he knew all the questions to ask but he did it coolly. I was impressed. He told me what he wanted to do with his life (go to Grad school, be a therapist, have a family, maybe teach some religion classes, and eventually travel to Jerusalem) It had never before occured to me exactly like that but I had the thought, "I want to do that too." I came home and actually said to my roommates, "I think I could marry this guy." I referred to my "list" (for the first time ever after a date) and yep, he had everything on it...RM, testimony, smart, musical, humble,...etc. I was willing to overlook the "good-cook" and "plays guitar" parts.
We had fun dating. My roommates told me "You're always laughing when you're with Brandon." On Sundays we would go to the park and read scriptures and have great discussions. One time we drove past his family's house in Payson--yes--we DROVE PAST only. I thought it was a little funny that we didn't STOP and go in. But, maybe he just wasn't ready for that yet.
When I eventually did meet the family it was a BBAll game with all the brothers--wow--lots of brothers--a whole team. I remember thinking "wow, I've never seen such a functional family--and they're all so funny." This was also the first time that I saw the competitive, fire-in-the-eyes look Brandon gets when he plays sports. He's mellowed out some but it still comes out when I threaten to beat him at ping pong.
I couldn't believe that I was dating such a great guy. I secretly wondered if this was too good to be true and would he would break up with me...Ironically that is how he proposed. Confused? He wanted me to not expect it, so he "pretended" like he was breaking up with me and then came in to the rescue with, "Will you marry me?" I thought that was a pretty bad way to go about it--(it was the guy he bought the ring from's idea) but, I was willing to forgive him because he finished strong...and I was completely in love.
We have been married 11 years now. I love him even more than when I married him. Here are the reasons why.
- SENSE OF HUMOR: He is always making laugh and life is good when you're laughing. He can always smooth over an awkward moment or get away with saying something difficult because he does it with humor.
- HE DOESN'T GET ANGRY: I can't believe it. Even when I go over budget or dent the car and he should be mad at me he isn't. He'll actually laugh and say, "you'll do better next month, ha ha."-- I would be mad at me.
- HE IS STABLE: He just always seems to be in a good mood. If I am freaking out swearing because I can't find our tickets and we are about to miss our flight he is there to hold everything together and say, "it will be okay."
- GENUINE: Brandon could be with a neighbor down the street or the Queen of England and he would treat them the same. He has no airs. He is just genuine and honest and friendly with everyone.
- HE LIKES TO HAVE FUN: He's happy just to watch a game or read. He will go to a play or concert with me. We like to play tennis or watch a movie. He is really up for anything and I love that....how bout a roadtrip? No matter what it is, he is always fun to be with.
- INTELLIGENT: Brandon is one of the most intelligent people I know--especially about the most important things: how to be happy, Religion/Gospel, how to get along with people/relationships. When he speaks it's like reading a book: He has an incredible command of the English language and is able to communicate and express ideas spot-on. Often he'll throw a word in there that I have to look up in the dictionary.
- SPIRITUAL: He has a strong testimony and amazing knowledge of the gospel and he is always willing to serve in the church.
- HELPFUL: dishes, diapers? He will pitch in and help with whatever needs to be done around the house. That is so sexy!
- BEST FATHER: His girls LOVE him! He'll play barbies with them, give them rides to bed, tell them "caveman" stories at bedtime. Cannon even kicks his legs in excitement when Brandon walks in the door.
- WELL-ROUNDED: BD is athletic. Did you know he got a hole in one at the golf course? He plays sports year round, rides his bike to work, and is very self-motivated to excercise--especially if it involves chasing a ball. He also plays a little piano, violin, and sings.
- HAPPY, CONFIDENT, LOYAL, HONEST, KIND, PRACTICAL, THOUGHTFUL....ETC.
You get the idea. He's a good one...and I get to live with him forever!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY this week to MY LOVE!