Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Lesson From History



Kate and I were on the computer doing her history lesson on Greek Gods and Goddesses when Adrie came in with a handful of barbies. Hey, what better visual aids could we ask for?! We learned the story about how Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite (played by barbies) were all fighting over who was the "fairest one of all." The trouble making goddess Eris (played by an evil stepmother of course) had thrown a golden apple to them with a note "to the fairest." They decided to let the beautiful mortal Paris, Prince of Troy,(played by Ken) be the judge. They all promised him great things but Paris ended up choosing Aphrodite because she said she would give him the most beautiful woman in the world would be his wife. This is when Adrie started crying because her barbie Athena wasn't chosen. Kate and I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Adrie was heartbroken but what could we do--there's no changing a myth that's thousands of years old.
Paris takes away his new beautiful beach barbie bride (Helen). Only problem is that she is already married to Menelaus (played by Shrek because he gets very mad and ogre-like) M. rounds up some armies and some goddesses (Athena and Hera are happy to oblige) and they fight against the city of Troy. Aphrodite takes sides with Paris/Helen. This is when Adrie starts whacking Aphrodite with her barbie. And that my friends is what started the Trojan War.
Curtains close.

5 comments:

Megz said...

Wow, I need some Barbies over here teaching us about mythology. Adrie is going to be the smartest three-year-old around as long as she just doesn't remember the part about her Barbie being rejected. Funny post. bye

TisforTonya said...

I feel smarter having read your post :) I think our Barbies need to go back to school, they don't know that story - we bought all the dumb Barbies (hmm... that sounds redundant)

cold cocoa said...

Great way to incorporate favorite toys into your learning! I could use a mythology lesson- I never could keep all the weird names/stories right.

Jill said...

What a darling idea -- and such a cute blog too... I'm so glad that we're neighbors -- you are so awesome!

Sherie Christensen said...

I enjoyed catching up on your blog the other day. I'm glad you have such a good neighborhood. I think you are very creative in teaching your girls. You sound much more fun than I was!